Majestic Boxing Academy host hugely successful Northwest region training day
July 26, 2023 | by Chris Boyd
Majestic Boxing Academy enjoyed a fantastic turnout on Sunday 23rd July, as they hosted the Northwest training day ahead of the region’s participation in the Soderkoping Box Cup in Sweden later this year.
The boxing gym, based in Wigan, hosted two sessions throughout the day with the first catering to Schools and Junior boxers aged 10 to 16 and the second session focusing on Youth and Senior boxers aged 16 and above.
13 coaches from the region travelled to Majestic, to assist head coach Alan Smith throughout the day’s activities.
Sessions consisted of a 20-minute warm-up, followed by a 40-minute technical sparring session and ending with a fun fitness segment. Sparring was detailed, with boxers divided into groups across two boxing rings and each coach analysing different aspects including footwork, counter-punching, power generation and the second phase of attack.
Emphasis was also placed on working the angles, head movement, and shot selection with three regional coaches assessing each boxer and scoring them out of 10 in the following categories:
- Skill level: Assessing technical ability such as footwork, speed, accuracy, defence and overall technique.
- Endurance and stamina: Considering the ability to sustain performance throughout rounds.
- Strategy and tactics: Evaluating the boxer’s planning and execution of strategies throughout sparring.
- Agility and reflexes: Assessing agility, quickness, and the ability to dodge and counter punch.
- Conditioning and fitness: Evaluating overall physical condition and fitness level.
- Commitment and attitude: Assessing dedication, work ethic and a positive attitude towards training.
Alan Smith was grateful to the team of coaches who assisted on the day: “I would like to extend a massive thank you to all the coaches who generously contributed their time and efforts to make this event possible.
“Their support and expertise were invaluable in ensuring that our training day ran smoothly and effectively.”
Smith and his team will now use the scorecards from sparring to select a team to represent the North West region at the upcoming Soderkoping Box Cup in Sweden, between September 28th and 2nd October.
The region anticipates taking 20 male boxers, accompanied by four coaches and two referees and judges with transportation, accommodation and food provided for all.
Following boxer selection, the North West region will hold another training day on Sunday 27th August.