Coronavirus latest: return to outdoor training guidance
March 17, 2021 | by Matt Halfpenny
England Boxing can now update members on what step one (part two) of the government’s roadmap for the easing of Covid-19 restrictions means for amateur boxing in this country.
This step is due to begin from Monday 29th March and relates to outdoor activity only. However, it is subject to conditions for easing of restrictions, as defined by the government, continuing to be met.
From that date, unless instructed otherwise in the intervening period, group boxing training can take place outdoors, subject to following:
- Individuals not from the same household must socially distance at all times (remain two metres apart), but masks do not need to be used.
- Bag work, shadow boxing, exercise, skipping etc is permitted.
- Pad work, sparring or competition is not permitted.
- All equipment must be thoroughly cleaned with a suitable anti-viral substance both before and after a session and wiped down after each use before another individual uses it.
- There are no limits on the size of official club sessions, providing they adhere to these guidelines.
- Private training, however, such as with club-mates outside of official club sessions, should be limited to groups of no more than six people, or two households.
- These rules apply to both adults and under-18s.
For further information, please see Sport England’s Frequently Asked Questions.
From 29th March, the government’s messaging around travel will be that you should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home and travel for exercise and to take part in informal and organised sport and physical activity.
From 29th March, the disability exemption will also apply for organised indoor activity. This means disabled people can take place in both organised indoor and outdoor sport and physical activity.
England Boxing is still waiting for clarification from DCMS on what a return to indoor venues and gyms will look like as part of step two of restrictions easing (scheduled for Monday 12th April).
We continue to push for this information, which we understand clubs are keen to find out to help with planning ahead, and it will be communicated to the membership as soon as it becomes available.
Please direct any queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org