Brandon return to competition amid ‘fantastic’ atmosphere
September 6, 2021 | by Matt Halfpenny
Brandon Boxing Club celebrated getting back to competitive boxing with its ‘Return of the BBC Young Guns last Tuesday (31st August).
It saw home boxers take on those from a Tyne, Tees and Wear Select Squad on a 14-bout bill.
“We had a cracking show which entertained from start to finish – and the sell-out crowd created a fantastic atmosphere,” said Head Coach Alex Oliver.
“Clubs journeyed from far and wide to compete, and each and every boxer gave their all in their respective contests.”
“Special mentions go to young ‘Lightning’ Lewis Patterson who took part in his first skills bout and had to do so without his mum and dad/coach, who were isolating. It was a remarkable show of character from a 10-year-old boy.”
John ‘TNT’ Dixon took the England Boxing officials’ award for boxer of the evening. He put in a strong display testament to reward the effort he has put in with the coaches at Brandon.
- L. Patterson v M. Winter – skills bout.
- S. Nicholson v F. Tunstall – skills bout.
- L. Straughn beat C. Cheeseman.
- B. Stephenson lost to L. Pennock by a unanimous decision.
- G. Kenny beat P. Fielden by a unanimous decision.
- E. Oakes beat M. Crosby by a unanimous decision.
- H. Smith lost to M. Watson by a unanimous decision.
- J. Dodsworth lost to B. Buldon by a unanimous decision.
- J. Dixon beat S. Rennick by a unanimous decision.
- E. Snaiston lost to C. Piggord by a unanimous decision.
- L. Reed beat O. Allen by a unanimous decision.
- E. Jones lost to A. Gittins by a unanimous decision.
- T. Wiffen lost to B. Langley by a split decision
- A. Murphy lost to H. Laughlin by a split decision.
Action picture by Jason Corbett.