EUBC Junior European Boxing Championships 2018 – day 5 results and semi-finals schedule
October 14, 2018 | by Matt Halfpenny
The team will enjoy a well-deserved rest day today, following a tough day of competitions where England won five of the nine quarter-finals.
However, this leaves us with 12 of our 19 boxers in the semi-finals and with guaranteed medals.
46kg Jack Dryden v Michael Donoghue (Ireland) – lost 0:4
The Irish southpaw edged the first two rounds, however Jack showed plenty of heart and determination to take the last round on all of the judges cards.
50kg Charlie Hickford v Daniel Stefanov (Bulgaria) – won 4:0
A patient Charlie took control of this contest in the second session with his solid digs finding the target area. The Bulgarians cause wasn’t helped as he suffered a warning for illegal use of the inside of the glove.
60kg Adam Azim v Kyle Kerrial (Scotland) – won RSC Rd3
Adam edged ahead in the opening two rounds before he unloaded his heavy shots in the last to bring about two standing eight counts and the referees stoppage of this quarter final.
52kg Billy Adams v Jon Alexander McConnell (Ireland) – lost 0:5
This contest would be a lot closer than the unanimous points decision in favour of the Irish boxer would suggest. Billy was always in the hunt until the final bell against a taller opponent.
54kg Ellis Price v Fredriksson Alexander (Sweden) – won 5:0
Both boxers gained a warning a piece for rule infringements in this contest. Yet it would be Ellis to go through with his superb ring craft keeping the southpaw Swede at bay.
48kg Joe McGrail v Eusebiu Lulian Tirzoman (Romania) – won 3:2
In a tight technical battle Joe nicked the rounds with a neat array of well-placed shots to earn a guaranteed bronze.
57kg Junaid Bostan v Maksim Shumov (Russia) – lost 1:4
A great middle round looked to have set up Junaid for the win, however the useful Russian battled back well to nick the tightest of decisions.
63kg George Bance v Giacomo Micheli (Italy) – won 5:0
George started the contest in determined fashion forcing the pace throughout to clearly take the first round. To his credit the Italian fought back well, however on this form nothing could deny George as he secured bronze!
75kg Tommy Dixon v Ramazan Dadaev (Russia) – lost 0:5
Tommy made a valiant effort in trying to thwart the ring savvy Russians attacks, who used his extra experience to see himself over the line.
Monday’s semi-finals are as follows:
2pm session (12pm UK time)
- 46kg Alex Brown v Erika Prisciandaro (Italy) – Ring A, bout 2
- 50kg Charlie Hickford v Michelle Baldassi (Italy) – Ring B, bout 3
- 54kg Sameenah Toussaint v Ellie Mai Gartland (Ireland) – Ring A, bout 5
- 54kg Ellis Price v Khunkerkhan Tiulemeshev (Russia) – Ring B, bout 6
- 60kg Danielle Marshall v Sinainn Glynn (Ireland) – Ring A, bout 7
- 60kg Adam Azim v Peter Samu Ferenc (Hungary) – Ring B, bout 7
6PM session (4pm UK time)
- 48kg Joe McGrail v Enrico Kliesch (Germany) – Ring B, bout 1
- 48kg Megan Bainbridge v Gayane Barseghyan (Armenia) – Ring A, bout 2
- 52kg Courtney Scott v Karolina Ampulska (Poland) – Ring A, bout 4
- 57kg Sacha Hickey v Azaliia Amineva (Russia) – Ring A, bout 6
- 63kg George Bance v Dmitry Zakharov (Russia) – Ring B, bout 8
- 80kg Emily Asquith v Petronela Schinte (Romania) – Ring A, bout 12