Boxing clubs urged to consider Return to Play grant after loosening of criteria
January 15, 2021 | by Matt Halfpenny
England Boxing is urging member clubs to consider applying for a Sport England Return to Play Fund Small Grant – if they haven’t already – after a loosening in the criteria to be met.
Almost 100 affiliated clubs have received money from the fund since it was launched in the autumn, amounting to approaching £600,000 across small grants and capital grants.
But the changes mean even more clubs are now likely to meet the required parameters, with small grants of up to £10,000 available, of which up to £3,000 can go on running costs.
Sport England has said it has altered its requirements for Return to Play as a result of the third national government lockdown to stop the spread of the Coronavirus, recognising the need to further support grassroots clubs.
The main changes are:
- Organisations based in Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) 1-5 (it was previously 1-3, some of the poorest communities in the country) can now seek support towards ongoing running costs – for example rent, utilities and insurance. Click here to check the IMD ranking for your club.
- However, this is capped at a maximum of £3,000 and will only be considered with an eligible funding request, where part of the application meets the original criteria around keeping in touch with members and ensuring clubs are prepared to welcome back members into socially-distanced gyms. More details as to what this means can be found by clicking here.
- Eligible organisations/activities falling in IMD 6-10 locations can still apply, but must do so by applying through the crowdfunding option – Return to Play: Active Together – in order to seek support towards running costs.
- Clubs who have already been in receipt of a small grant are invited to reposition some of their grant to pay for rent/bills/insurance and can request additional money to what they originally received to help pay those bills.
- There is greater flexibility over start date of funding being used – Sport England now ask that activity resumes within six weeks of national/local lockdown restrictions being lifted.
- The total budget for the Return To Play Fund has been increased by £5 million to support more organisations.
- The programme has now been extended to remain open up to 30th June 2021.
There are no changes in the criteria for applying for Return To Play Fund’s Community Asset Fund or Active Together (Crowdfunding) grants.
Further, more detailed information on the changes is available direct from the Sport England website – both for potential and existing awardees – by clicking here.
If after reading through the criteria you need assistance, please contact the relevant Club Support Officer in your region.