Coronavirus – latest government guidance and advice
March 5, 2020 | by Matt Halfpenny
England Boxing is keen to share with members the Government’s advice to contain the possible spread of the coronavirus.
Many boxers, coaches, parents, officials and clubs will have questions about general participation, the running of competitions and events and combating the spread of the virus.
Please find below the latest information issued by the government to bear in mind with regard to boxing activities, which should hopefully answer many of those questions.
Latest government guidance
The following tailored advice for the sports sector has been developed. This advises:
- There is presently no rationale to close or cancel sporting events, but this may change as the situation evolves, so please keep a close eye on Gov.uk.
- Anyone with flu-symptoms should avoid the risk of spreading their infection, whatever that infection may be, by staying at home and recovering;
- For those hosting sporting events, whatever the size, attendees and participants should stay up to date on the government’s latest advice on how to avoid catching or spreading the virus, which is here;
- As the situation progresses advice may follow for the frail, elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions (to be defined) to stay away from gatherings as part of general advice aimed at minimising unnecessary contact with others;
- For those travelling to sporting events overseas, the Foreign Office’s travel advice should be followed here and travellers should note that apart from the countries and territories named in that advice, the government is not presently advising against travel to anywhere else;
- For those who offer community and leisure services, such as running a local football team; or running a gym; hand hygiene should be strongly promoted and encouraged and equipment and facilities should be thoroughly cleaned and wiped down as usual following use. The government is planning to publish specific advice on this shortly;
- There is presently no reason people should stop doing their daily sport and physical activities as they normally would.
Government action plan
You can read the government’s action plan here.
As we all know, boxing plays a vital role in maintaining health and wellbeing, and we will provide further updates when appropriate. Many thanks for your co-operation.