Bright Star urging boxers to #ShineInIsolation
April 15, 2020 | by Matt Halfpenny
A Shropshire boxing club is lifting the gloom of coronavirus lockdown through its #ShineInIsolation initiative.
Bright Star Boxing Academy, based in Shifnal has created a virtual, on-line gym for its boxers and associated mental health group, Counterpunch.
Volunteers have also created, through the Zoom app, a training schedule for the many locals who currently jobless because of the Coronavirus outbreak. The tutorials will lead to an in-house certificate.
Joe Lockley, one of Bright Star’s founders, said: “This isolation period can have a huge impact on boxers’ mental health and motivation towards the sport.
“That’s why it’s important to focus on the things we can do to keep the club together as much as possible.
“Before this, a lot of our members didn’t realise how much of an impact boxing has on their lives so continuing to support them is key.”
That support has seen:
- On-line training sessions every Monday and Friday via the Zoom app
- The distribution of kit-bags for club members, filled with cones, resistance bands and balls, to aid training in isolation.
- The launch of a competition where fighters are urged to place their own fitness tips on-line
- Daily boxing drills released, that people can do from home.
- A weekly catch-up with squad boxers
- A running challenge – via the Strava app – where members compete for the best time over 1k, 3k and 5k.
- A training programme made for squad boxers
Joe added: “Our Counterpunch mental health group has regular on-line catch ups and weekly sessions. It has also set up a partnership with a mental health group in Shrewsbury to set up a self care facebook page.
“The partnership provides positivity each day and has created a bigger community of support during difficult times.”
The club is also in the process of launching the Bright Star May Marathon.
Anyone can sign up to the challenge and those that complete the challenge will receive a medal
The challenge is to run a marathon (or half marathon for juniors) over the course of one week, with progress tracked in the Bright Star Boxing page of Strava.
For more information on the club, see it’s Facebook page here.