England Performance hold two-day CPD training as part of on-going commitment to coach development
July 10, 2023 | by Chris Boyd
17 England Boxing Performance Pathway coaches attended two days of CPD training hosted at the GB Boxing Gym in the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield last week.
The course took place as part of England Boxing’s wider coach development strategy for the Pathway coaching team.
Performance coach John Stubbs led the course, which focused on strengthening EB’s one-team approach while building a safe environment to challenge coaching norms in new and different ways.
At the core of the training was an emphasis on practical delivery as well as coaching philosophy, with learning including:
- Session delivery development
- Video and performance analysis – and how it can be used to gain insight and design boxer-specific training sessions.
- TheraBand and RAMP techniques to help maximise warm-up routines and gain a performance advantage.
- Exploring and developing the Pathway Coaching Philosophy of, ‘Creating adaptable, independent, resilient, and robust boxers’, who are capable of winning medals on the international stage.
- Discussions around coaching language and how we can align our terminology with the same meaning while keeping coaching creative for the individual.
Several non-Pathway and Pathway boxers were present during the training, helping to put into practice what had been discussed while providing real-time swerve balls to enhance leadership delivery skills within the Pathway coaching team.
Through consistent coach development, the theory is that the Pathway coaches will enhance their technical and tactical delivery.
10 Pathway coaches have been accepted across four different UK Coaching programmes this year, while 14 coaches have qualified for their IBA one-star with six more participating in the July course.
England Boxing’s Head of Performance Chris Connelly said: “It was a great couple of days and a pleasure to witness the engagement from all coaches.
“Turning up in the middle of the week just shows the dedication these coaches have for constantly trying to develop and learn. It also shows how the Performance coaches at England are equally as determined to help share expertise and knowledge.
“All in all, the coaching Pathway continues to showcase a real safe learning and development environment and one we will continue to push.”