England Boxing begins to deliver Inclusive Activity Programme Workshops
April 29, 2023 | by Chris Boyd
England Boxing, working with Activity Alliance and UK Coaching, is delivering 10 Inclusive Activity Programme Workshops across the country with the aim of equipping boxing coaches with the ability to effectively engage disabled people and people with long-term health conditions.
The aim of the workshop is to help coaches:
- Understand how to apply a range of tools to make their sessions more inclusive.
- Increase their confidence and competence to include disabled people in boxing.
- Reflect on their current delivery and identify how they can improve fairness for disabled people in sports and activities.
- Access further support, training and opportunities for their clubs and disabled people they work with.
50 coaches have already undergone the training across 5 workshops, with the latest workshop taking place at Tamworth Boxing Club in the Midlands.
The workshop at Tamworth was attended by Club and Community Manager for the North, Louise Vidor, and Midlands apprentice, Joshua Jones, and the feedback was great.
One participant said, “I really enjoyed the workshop; it helped open my eyes to a variety of different ways in which I can adapt my training sessions.
“I learnt that there are lots of ways to involve everyone in my sessions, no matter what their ability. I would highly recommend it to others.
“It was a good experience, learning how to make my sessions accessible to all and gaining new ideas on how to include everyone and make adaptations to various activities.
“Overall, it made me more knowledgeable on how I would include different disabilities in different situations.”
Alicia Winbolt, who leads Inclusive Boxing for England Boxing stated, “The feedback so far from this workshop has been really positive.
“This is a great opportunity for clubs and coaches to learn more about coaching people with disabilities and long-term health conditions.
“Boxing is a sport for all with no barriers to participation and this is a step towards opening up more boxing clubs for people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions.”
. England Boxing still has 5 workshops across the country due to take place:
- Eastern Counties – 20th May 10am – 1pm at Kingfisher Boxing
- London – 10th June 10am – 1pm at Dagenham ABC
- North – 24th June 10am – 1pm at Empire School of Boxing
- Southern Counties – 25th June 1pm – 4pm at Eastbourne Borough Football Club
- Western Counties – TBC
If you wish to book onto any of these workshops, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.