£150,000 of funding available to boxing clubs for Tackling Inequalities
July 2, 2020 | by Matt Halfpenny
England Boxing is delighted to announce it is distributing a further £150,000 of Sport England funding to help ease the financial burden on boxing clubs in the country’s most deprived communities.
Applications for the Tackling Inequalities Fund are being accepted with immediate effect.
Clubs looking to apply should first note the criteria and check they meet it before doing so.
They should apply if:
- They have NOT been in receipt of existing financial aid during the COVID pandemic, so clubs who have received a grant from their local authority based on rateable value and/or received a Community Emergency Fund grant from Sport England should not apply
- They serve members from the most deprived communities, meaning clubs whose membership are drawn from the top 20% of the poorest communities in the country, determined by the “Indices of Multiple Deprivation”. Click here to check the IMD ranking for your club or members.
If you need support to apply, or think you sit just outside the criteria but still believe you have a compelling case for receiving funding, please contact your regional Club Support Officer (details below).
The reason England Boxing is seeking out these particular clubs is that Sport England research suggests that people from deprived communities are less likely to keep active during the Coronavirus outbreak.
A small grant will therefore help clubs:
- keep in touch with their membership by improving communication
- help to devise some safe distance activities for members
- help to prepare for club’s re-opening
- or simply to keep paying the bills so that the club is ready for the return
England Boxing will support applications for funding from £300 up to a maximum of £3000.
Click here to download an application form and click here for further guidance.
Applications should then be sent via email to your Club Support Officer to be assessed by a panel. Click here for a list of Club Support Officers.
“It’s been great to see more than 450 affiliated clubs get some kind of financial assistance to help with the enforced gym closure during the Coronavirus Pandemic,” said England Boxing’s Head of Community Development, Ron Tulley.
“But there are a number of other clubs who we know haven’t, for one reason or another, been able to secure it but are well deserving of help at this difficult time.
“We’re extremely grateful to Sport England for giving us this additional funding which we believe will help us reach clubs who are still in need and we look forward to assessing the applications.”